retell literacy center activity - Cinderella
Cinderella for literacy center time? Oh yes! We have active literacy centers in our classroom like the retell center. This is how I created a 'Cinderella' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of collecting and I did purchase a few of these items. My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.
Cinderella Retell (Literacy Center Activity)
It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce Cinderella just before Thanksgiving. This is one of the first classic fairy tales that I introduce to me students. Although they've hear the story before, they love the language in this version by James Marshall which makes it easier to retell. If you're willing to go there, it makes great discussion to compare the ending to the ending of The Little Red Hen.
Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. I did purchase the finger puppets from a site that had them for around $7, but it was worth it since they've lasted for over 6 years. The pumpkin, mice (cat toy mice) and the rat (bath sponge) and toy plastic Cinderella toys were all found via a dollar store.
And yeah, those are some hand drawn pieces of fruit too, but I'm leaving you a set of printables. {You know I've got your back!} You'll just need to cut your own holes into the foods.
Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...
Materials:
- Rat (bath sponge like mine?)
- Mice (cat toys work great)
- Assorted little finds - carriage, characters, pumpkin
- "Glass" Slipper - plastic bridal shower favor
- Cinderella (Fairy Tale) Finger Puppets
- Cinderella by Barbara Karlin
More Versions of Cinderella We Love {I have them ALL!}
More Cinderella Online
More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Fresh Fall Leaves
Big Pumpkin
Cinderella
There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
The Little Red Hen
The Very Quiet Cricket
Red Riding Hood
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Hansel and Gretel
The Gingerbread Man
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
The Fat Cat
Cookie's Week
The Doorbell Rang
The Three Little Pigs
Swimmy
See All
When do you like to read Cinderella with your class?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: literacy centers, retell center


<< Home