KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - Big Pumpkin        

Saturday, May 18, 2013

retell literacy center activity - Big Pumpkin

Some of the books we feature in our retell center go along with holidays. It makes for a triple whammy when I find a GREAT read aloud that hits my curriculum, centers and builds in a holiday like Halloween! This is how I created a 'Big Pumpkin' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of printing and a free craft project! My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.

I totally recommend the CD/audio version - see the video link below. It will make it easy to hear the pattern and I know it so well, I can recite it all in my sing songy voice while we are on a field trip bus ride and entertain my kinders for at least 8 minutes and they can chime in. We don't use it in the retell center, but its totally worth mentioning.

Big Pumpkin Retell (Literacy Center Activity)

KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - Big Pumpkin

It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce Big Pumpkin just before Halloween. It's truly a delight to read and I use it mainly to discuss a "reader's voice" since they love how I read the vampire's voice. It is one of the first stories we read that has a problem/solution, pattern and is a growing story. They love that it can go on all three posters in our classroom. I also love that I can reference it during small group work as a way for students to remember to work together (and leave me to work with my group).

Here are the props I gathered for free (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. I scanned and printed characters from the book and added strings. I also made a pumpkin from a scrap of fabric and toilet paper {yep} and the detached vine from paper.

Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - Big Pumpkin
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...

Materials:

Don't know this book? Since it's not as well known, maybe you know one of these similar growing-pattern books... They would work great too for this center if you have them!
The Enormous Turnip
The Enormous Potato
The Giant Carrot

More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten






When do you like to read Big Pumpkin with your class? Have you ever heard of it?

If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: ,