retell literacy center activity - Cookie's Week
Something I love about my literacy centers is the choice offered to students and the ability for students to differentiate their own learning. We have active literacy centers in our classroom like the retell center. This is how I created a 'Cookie's Week' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of scanning and printing!
My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading. They use their own skills and the skills of others since their groups are heterogeneous, which lends itself to differentiation!
Cookie's Week Retell (Literacy Center Activity)
It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce Cookie's Week in mid-spring. I know it's a book that we will have actually just read as a read aloud by this point, so now the work begins. We quickly dissect it as a pattern story and enjoy using what we' know about reading skills to determine the days of the week and explore the text. It also helps build up my lowest readers since the text is more simple than some of the other books we feature in this center.
Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. Side note, the beanie baby was donated but I know you can easily find them at a garage sale or find something similar at the dollar store! I scanned the pics as seen above and created the days of the week so students could sequence the order. I don't have this file to share, but I found one for you below that'll work great too. {You know I've got your back!}
Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...
Materials:
- Cookie's Week Printables {Free download}
- Black and White Cat (Beanie Baby)
- Velcro
- Cookie's Week by Cindy Ward
This article includes affiliate links.
More Free Cookie's Week Printables Online:
More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten
When do you like to read Cookie's Week with your class?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: Freebie, literacy centers, retell center


<< Home