KindergartenWorks: preparing for the parents        

Sunday, September 16, 2012

preparing for the parents

In preparation for the first day of Kindergarten, we hold a one hour open house where our kinders can drop off their supplies, see our room and meet me. Talk about a frenzy of activity! But, in preparation for them and their parents, who often need some guidance and last minute questions answered I'd like to share what I've got laid out.

For this open house night, I previously used a slip of paper that told parents and their kids what to do around the room. Only problems that posed for me was 1) them seeing it when they walked into our crowded room and 2) them seeing it when they walked into our crowded room. So, this year, I simplified what I really wanted them to do and made it almost impossible to miss.


These are hung from the rafters with jumbo paper clips and are quick for me to remove once open house night is over. {Inserting a personal note of sorry for those of you who can't hang stuff} I lay out tubs for their supplies to be already sorted so that I can grab what is needed for day one and store the rest in the cupboards.



Do I mean to be so straight forward with these huge signs?
Yes.
I do that because I want my parents and kinders to feel as relaxed as possible knowing what to expect.




And then there are the papers to go home. Parents always get a packet of stuff to fill out and I attach a "parent homework" note to it so they know they can take it home. I add the child's first day of school name tag (thanks to inspiration from my favorite teacher down the hall!) and attach our dismissal information because it is the one thing that parents tend to fret about.


More on Back To School

12 Tips to Start a Successful Kindergarten Year
Creating Responsible Kindergartners
Communicating With Parents Via Folders

These are a few of the things I have in place to prepare for the parents. What do you like to do?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: ,