the technology zone
One of the zones (math centers) I use to help move my kinders forward is called the technology zone. Right now my kinders have to go down to the computer lab and work with a parent volunteer there to assist. Someday, I hope to have a set of 6 iPads or tablet PC's to use within the classroom to accomplish the same goals!
I created this zone because in addition to the math games and manipulative materials I try to include, I want my kinders to have as much interactive experience as possible. So I have started to compile games across the internet that allow my kinders to practice the math skills that align with the common core standards we are practicing.

I'd like to share our third quarter games with you! Each group gets to visit the technology zone twice a week for about 25-30 mins. So my kinders will get to play each set of games four times and I link to some math videos at the end to help them have some choice if they finish all of the games in one session early. I meant to update the look of the weeks as time went on to have different shapes than snowflakes throughout (to go with each month) but I completely forgot! Despite the snowflakes, it's fully functional!

If you like this format, you may also like the combined math and language arts Computer Lab Lesson Plan Pages that we use in our regular computer lab times. On this, you should see most items will have the Common Core Standard listed very small next to each game.

Oh yes, before I go, I'd better explain the stars! I use stars to group my kinders. The more stars, the more support they need. I also use the same symbols on the materials in my classroom to help differentiate and keep items easily accessible to kinders.
Here are my tips for using these:
- Model completing the lesson page (with more explicit instruction early on) in small groups.
- Model what the end of an activity looks like so students know when they're expected to exit (eventually many sites will become familiar and they will not need as much direction).
- When students ask for help reply with, "What makes good sense?"
- Use the stars under an activity's title to model how many times you'd like them to repeat the activity.
{click image to download}
Labels: Common Core Standards Connection, Freebie, Guided Math

<< Home