KindergartenWorks: re.spon.si.bil.it.y        

Thursday, April 28, 2011

re.spon.si.bil.it.y

Daily communication is important between parents and their child about the day's events, and between parents and me, the teacher. I'm sure I am preaching to the crowd! To help keep everyone on the same page and to create a system that is quick and effective for parents, my kinders have a daily folder.


I have a chicka theme running throughout my classroom and made coordinating labels for the front of each folder.

It has different sections to help keep things ready in a pinch and teach organization! I use a bulletin board as my daily model of and students use it to know where papers go on a daily basis.



It has an "empty" pocket. This pocket is designed for papers completed at school, newsletters, flyers, etc. 
I ask parents to empty this section daily, if not weekly, so that the kinders have less to organize and keep track of.




It has a parent-teacher communication sleeve that is clear. This part my kinders are responsible for checking and filing papers, notes, etc. into daily if necessary.

This is a parent's place to get a note to the me, place checks, order forms, etc. I often use this to send home notes, behavior notifications, conference set-ups, confirmations and questions for parents. 


It has a calendar. It helps my kinders learn how to understand concepts of time, including the days of the week. I feel it is my kinders' responsibility to track their behavior at school daily here too. That's what the little boxes are for surrounding each date. It has a book log to keep track of books read at home that I normally print on the reverse side. Great for documentation purposes!



It has a book log to keep track of books read at home. I've updated my logs from "read and record" to "read and respond" (in my new pack -see below) to better fit my kinders' and families' needs. I'm excited about the updated book logs as each month they ask quality questions in parent/kinder friendly ways to help them practice what we're learning in school, at home. And they are Common Core Standards based - this excites me (yes, really!) because I am working hard at becoming super familiar with them for next year's roll-out!

Finally, It has a work section for any work to be completed.



Giving my kinders their own organizational tool helps build re.spon.si.bil.it.y!
How do like to give responsibility to your kinders?

If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: , , ,