KindergartenWorks: free "ways to make 5" bingo - K.OA.1, K.OA.4        

Monday, November 28, 2011

free "ways to make 5" bingo - K.OA.1, K.OA.4

I'd like to share an activity we do during our math groups to help practice our Kindergarten Common Core standard pertaining to addition. I've included it as a free download that you can only get here on KindergartenWorks! It pays to be a subscriber. {hint, hint} This bingo game is a classic way to practice skills in a small group setting.

I want my kinders to develop stronger skills in "seeing" combinations and ways to make 5. Some of the calling cards are missing an addend to provide a challenge and help differentiate. I used these game cards to play in my small math groups to work on these kindergarten Common Core standards:
  • K.OA.1.a Represent addition with objects, fingers, and sounds to identify the meaning of addition as putting together and adding to.
  • K.OA.4.a State the number that makes 5 when added to any given number 1-4 with objects.




Since I created this to be used in small groups, there are 6 different game mats. I recommend showing the calling cards rather then calling them out. This is to help students familiarize themselves with what the addends represent in an equation and for them to compare to the pictorial representations. I introduce the seeds as representing the first addend and the dotted-outlined dots represent the second addend. We played this twice as part of our wrap up activities.

I also chose to specifically create a very light, almost invisible, second object. This was because I want my kinders to learn to visualize things filling up that space that aren't actually there. In my mind I assume this will help build mental math skills. Maybe not, but I'm going for it anyways. {wink}

More Math Games

Free Game for Adding 1
Teddy Bear Number Line Addition
Subtraction - Am I the Last One?
More Bump Games

More Number Sense

Tools for Beginning Number Sense - How to Draw a Ten Frame
creating ten frame manipulatives
subtraction - am I the last one?


I hope you enjoy this freebie. If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: , , , , ,