retell literacy center activity - The Three Little Pigs
Hooray for literacy center time in our classroom since we have very active literacy centers like the retell center. This is how I created a 'The Three Little Pigs' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was just a matter of collecting and printing! What's this center all about? My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.
The Three Little Pigs Retell (Literacy Center Activity)
It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce The Three Little Pigs in the late winter {which can last for.ev.er. in Indiana}. At the time I choose this, my students can track the pattern of the story and l-o-v-e the Paul Galdone version. It's my favorite one since it includes 2 pattern sets in the plot, brings in the concept of time, and my kinders love the "real" version that all of their bedtime stories never told.
Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. I actually inherited the beautifully colored ones from the teacher who retired and left her classroom stuff to me. A mish-mash, but all free so it works!
Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...
Materials:
- The Three Little Pigs Printables {Free download}
- Popsicle Sticks
- The Three Little Pigs by Paul Galdone
- Also Pictured (Finger Puppets/Retelling Glove - garage sale finds)
More 'The Three Little Pigs' Free Printables
- The Three Little Pigs Masks
- The Three Little Pigs Reader and Word Cards
- Three Little Pigs Sequencing Cards for Speech Therapy
More Versions of The Three Little Pigs We Love {I have them ALL!}
- The Three Little Pigs by Patricia Seibert
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Lane Smith
- The Three Little Pigs by James Marshall
- The Three Little Pigs by Marie-Louise Gay
- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
- The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark
- The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
- My Lucky Day
More 'The Three Little Pigs' Online
More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten
When do you like to read The Three Little Pigs with your class?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: Freebie, literacy centers, retell center


<< Home