retell literacy center activity - Red Riding Hood
Do you love your literacy center time? I do! We have active literacy centers in our classroom like the retell center. This is how I created a 'Red Riding Hood' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of printing and collecting! My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.
Red Riding Hood Retell (Literacy Center Activity)
It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce Red Riding Hood early in the fall. Its one of the first classic folk tales we focus on together and really work on talking about plot, setting, characters. Its a foundational story for us and we love exploring how details in illustrations help add to the story, since James Marshall has done such a great job with adding to this story.
Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. I'm not sure where the little finger puppet came from, but the other prop like things were little doll decor I had lying around and cheap floral fluff. The printable masks are most often used by my kinders.
Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...
Materials:
This article includes affiliate links.
More Versions of Red Riding Hood We Love
More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten
When do you like to read Red Riding Hood with your class?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: Freebie, literacy centers, retell center


<< Home