KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - The Doorbell Rang        

Saturday, June 15, 2013

retell literacy center activity - The Doorbell Rang

What do you love about your literacy center time? I love listening over my guided reading groups to our literacy centers in our classroom like the retell center. This is how I created a 'The Doorbell Rang' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was my most simple to compile since it only takes two props! When visiting the retell center, my kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.

The Doorbell Rang Retell (Literacy Center Activity)

KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - The Doorbell Rang

It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce The Doorbell Rang as one of our last memorable books in the year, so generally late spring. I usually also read this one the fewest times out of all of our retell stories.

This happens normally because I focus on the math aspect when reading and we really enjoy drawing out the division situations. They love how they can quickly identify the patterns they have come to study in books and have that early on in the reading of this story, allowing them to focus elsewhere. They still love the ending though - a cyclical ending gets them every time at this age. They just LOVE it!

Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - The Doorbell Rang
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...

Materials:


More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten






What do you like to teach out of The Doorbell Rang with your class? Is it a favorite read aloud instead?

If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: , ,