KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - Hansel and Gretel        

Monday, April 29, 2013

retell literacy center activity - Hansel and Gretel

Do you love your literacy center time? I do! We have active literacy centers in our classroom like the retell center. This is how I created a 'Hansel and Gretel' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of drawing and collecting rocks! My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits, all while continuing to build their love of reading.

Hansel and Gretel Retell (Literacy Center Activity)

KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - Hansel and Gretel

It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce Hansel and Gretel at the end of the school year. It's longer, there aren't any specific patterns to pick up on and usually my students infer that the witch and step mother are the same person. We wait until the end of the year to have these deeper discussions on what was inferred as opposed to figured out with evidence from the story. Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart.

And yeah, those are some hand drawn characters, but I'm leaving you a set of printables. {You know I've got your back!} You'll just need to punch holes (or add popsicle sticks)

Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - Hansel and Gretel
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...

Materials:

This article includes affiliate links.

More Hansel and Gretel Free Printables


More Hansel and Gretel Online


More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten




When do you like to read Hansel and Gretel with your class?

If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: , ,