KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - The Little Red Hen        

Monday, February 4, 2013

retell literacy center activity - The Little Red Hen

In our classroom, I love turning over stories to my students as an activity for kindergarten in our retell center. This is how I created a 'The Little Red Hen' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of printing and collecting! My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, they act, they use lots of great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Retell (Literacy Center Activity)

KindergartenWorks: retell literacy center activity - The Little Red Hen

It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce The Little Red Hen late in the early spring. Students love the voices for the characters and lends itself to talking about 'a reader's voice' which many of my students are developing at this time. I love using this story to remind students part way through the year of expectations in working with others. We discuss the different endings when sometimes she shares and other times she doesn't.

Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. I printed the large animal "masks" from Jan Brett's site. I added large paint sticks (changing it up from Popsicle sticks) with book tape. I found the little hen in a stash of stuffed animals I had - random, I know. I also wanted to engage more students in recognizing the repeated phrases so I have those on sentence strips. They like to order them sometimes or hold them up when reading.

Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...

Materials:

This article includes affiliate links.

More The Little Red Hen Free Printables


More Versions of The Little Red Hen We Love {I Have them ALL!}


More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten


Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Fresh Fall Leaves
Big Pumpkin
Cinderella
There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
The Little Red Hen
The Very Quiet Cricket
Red Riding Hood
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Hansel and Gretel
The Gingerbread Man
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
The Fat Cat
Cookie's Week
The Doorbell Rang
The Three Little Pigs
Swimmy
See All


When do you like to read The Little Red Hen with your class?

If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: , ,