KindergartenWorks: "doh" you want to be mine?        

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"doh" you want to be mine?

Hearts, {choc-o-late}, candy, and everything pink, red and white... It's Valentine's Day! I love incorporating playdough into what we do in the classroom in both math and language arts. I will also tell you that if you ever have storm drills or lock downs that can last for awhile, having 24 little mini tubs of playdough will be a life saver to keep kinders occupied {or at least their hands}.

Since I'm such a fan, I like to give each student their own tub of playdough for Valentine's day and they enjoy playing with it once they've opened up all of their cards and we have a few minutes before lunch. Here are some free Valentine Dough Labels to make the toppers to your Valentine card {slash} gift and the closure to any bag you find from the dollar store.


So, what do my students do while opening cards? They make their own Valentine Card book. I like to give out a class list the day before and they prepare their books and enjoy talking about their cards they are going to give. Then we spend our "party" time enjoying each other's company as we give each other gifts, saying thank you and trying to see what parts of cards we can read.



Simple and Valentines-y. It's reading, so there is still literacy involved {right!?}

From this Article:

> Valentine's Playdough Labels {Free}
> Valentine's Card Booklets {Free}

More Playdough Resources:

> Playdough Word Work Pack
> Playdough Word Work Extension Pack
> Playdough Number Mats

What is something you like to do on Valentine's with your kinders? If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: ,