retell literacy center activity - The Gingerbread Man
Do you love your literacy center time? I do! We have active literacy centers in our classroom like the retell center. This is how I created a 'The Gingerbread Man' retell activity to go in our retell center as an option for my kindergarten students. It was a combination of printing and collecting! My kinders get to choose the book(s) they want to retell while they are at this literacy center. They read, the act, they use lots or great vocabulary and are developing fantastic reading habits all while continuing to build their love of reading.
The Gingerbread Man Retell (Literacy Center Activity)
It's one of my favorite literacy centers and we usually introduce The Gingerbread Man just before Christmas. It plays a big role in creating the idea for our Gingerbread Adventures, which carries us all the way to Christmas break. I have so many versions of this story and my kinders love comparing and contrasting the characters and seeing which stories have a growing list (or not).
Here are the props I gathered rather inexpensively (and you can too) to bring the book alive once we knew it by heart. I found a printable online and simply colored it with marker and added Popsicle sticks. I had this gingerbread man in my stash of decorations, so he has permanently relocated.
Go back to read the Retell Literacy Center Directions {in case you missed it}
You can make this kindergarten activity yourself! Here are the materials you'll need...
Materials:
- The The Gingerbread Man Printables {Free download}
- Gingerbread Man (Stuffed or printable)
- Popsicle Sticks
- Tape
- The Gingerbread Man by Karen Schmidt
This article includes affiliate links.
More 'The Gingerbread Man' Free Printables
More Versions of The Gingerbread Man We Love {I have them ALL!}
- The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone
- The Gingerbread Man by Jim Aylesworth
- The Gingerbread Man by Catherine McCafferty
- The Matzah Man
- The Gingerbread Girl
- The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers
- The Gingerbread Cowboy
- Gingerbread Baby
- Gingerbread Friends
- The Gingerbread Pirates
- Bad Boys Get Cookie
- The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
More Retell Literacy Center Book Activities for Kindergarten
More Gingerbread Man Ideas by KindergartenWorks
Gingerbread Adventuresbringing the Gingerbread Man into real life
Who'll Believe It Really Happened?
When do you like to read The Gingerbread Man with your class?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: Freebie, literacy centers, retell center


<< Home