KindergartenWorks: classroom life preserver {substitute prep}        

Friday, January 18, 2013

classroom life preserver {substitute prep}

Preparing for a substitute long before you need one is a great way to make life easier on yourself. For when you really need one, and are in a pinch, you can feel better knowing that you've left behind explanations for all of the major things and can just leave some details and a set of plans.

So, to lend a hand when I know I'm going to be out I make it as laid out as possible. I lay out the folder with plans on top. Surrounding my plans and main folder are the day's necessary lesson materials.


And I normally try to label the piles with a set of labels I created that match our daily agenda. This way, it ties it all together for either the sub or some helpful kinders. They are stored in a library pocket that I taped into the back of my sub folder so they are readily available.


When I wrote my last post on preparing for a sub, I shared lots of photos of my basic template that makes up my sub folder. I describe the big picture things like procedures, routines and safety procedures.



These always remain in the sub folder that is in my classroom. I also keep multiple sets of name labels and extra nurse passes (as seen above).


Is it mean that I also ask the person filling my shoes to do prep work during my prep time? Perhaps you think so. Normally I ask. Politely. I will usually leave a request note like this one that allows me to just leave a check {remember I like checklists?} and attach it to the materials.



Coming back after I've been out is something I normally don't get giddy about, but I do ask for specific feedback. I find that I will only ask about what I really want to know, so that I can stay focused on what lies ahead instead of what is in the past. It really makes a difference in my attitude on the morning I return.


So what about the days when I have to call it in and can't have them all laid out ahead of time? Having these items all prepared ahead of time and in my sub folder, makes it easy for the sub to grab and simply insert my plans into. Since I don't love having a busy teacher space when I leave for the evening, I normally don't lay out things for the next day, but I can reference where things are and try to have most materials in my daily files to make them easier to find.


My last tip is that I take pictures as the year goes on of places where I generally keep things. I like to insert photos into my plans, making it more visual for a sub to be able to find things whenever possible. If you want an editable version of my sub folder or sub plan template, then I have my updated Substitute Survival and Thrive-al packet ready for you.


I'm not one to just call a sub day, a "mail it in" day. I expect a lot from those who take my place {and my kinders}! But, I do try to make filling my shoes and hearing the little chants of, "That's not the way our teacher does it" easier.

Related Resources:


More on Teacher Organization

Organizing digital teacher files
Organizing teacher materials for the week and quarter
Organizing room layout and teacher space
Organizing behind my teacher easel
Organizing a teacher planning binder

What's your substitute classroom life preserver? If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: ,