hiding the eye-sore science kits
Hiding my science kits is a challenge for me. We have three of them and while not in use, I definitely want them out of sight. I say that they are an eye sore, and that's mainly because I tend to dislike clutter and things that aren't functional... but that's just me.
Last year, I had a sad solution of covering them with some carpets, tucked and folded around them like a present. Hated it! This year, I knew I wanted to tackle it, but wasn't sure how. On my 'shopping for school' day, I found these place mats at the Dollar Tree and loved their simplicity and green border. They could coordinate with the room without standing out. I'm trying to disguise, remember?
So in my non-sewing own crafty way, I decided that I could safety pin them together and then somehow attach them to the ceiling. Somehow. Then I ran across these shoe laces that matched and I knew I could figure it out once I got into my room. {Sorry for those of you who can't hang things}
So here is my step by step process that took me about 45 mins of day one working in my classroom. I used place mats, safety pins, binder clips and shoe laces. I began by pinning them all together on the floor to see how many I'd need and to hold them all in place while I worked. I also put a pin in place at the top of each one in case I'd need it, but didn't close it. They were just back ups so I wouldn't have to climb down for any reason.
I made them hold pretty tightly to each other, without much gap in between. At the top of each corner and where the place mat would line up with a rafter beam, I used those top pins that were just sitting there to create my ties. Here you can see this corner one is about 1/2" from the top and I've pulled the shoelace through it.
Then I added the binder clip onto the shoelace and will use this to hold this portion of the place mats up to the ceiling.
I clipped it straight onto the ceiling and it held up well just as is. Just not sturdy enough for long term, but good for holding it in place as I worked.
Then I tied the lace pieces into a bow and that was really it. I did have to go back an finagle a few pieces to look better, or to close the gap between a couple place mats, but I just repeated the pin, lace, clip, tie process all the way along the top of my cupboards.
Here are my hidden away items. Now you seem them.
Now you don't!
Here is a collage you can pin if you want to remember this idea in step-by-step pictures!
More on Classroom Organization
Organizing a Classroom LibraryBehind My Teacher Easel
Organizing Small Group Reading Materials
Creating a System For Pencils, Erasers, Etc.
Organizing a Small Group Math Instruction Space
Do you have any secrets for hiding things that you don't want to look at all year?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: Back to School, classroom organization


<< Home