KindergartenWorks: brightly colored and adhesive        

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

brightly colored and adhesive

So far I've shared about how I began to bring bright colors into my classroom in full force this year to be functional and help create a cohesive look. This part is all about how duct tape played a role in decorating and setting up my classroom this year... hence the word adhesive in my title. I wanted to call this "just call me the duct tape queen."

When I first purchased the duct tape, it was for the purpose of creating lines on our multi-purpose magnetic board. because ribbon and I don't always get along. {Really, we have a history.} And I love the turquoise and purple I found at Meijer and then happened to find the bright green (almost yellow) and pink at Big Lots.   That's where it started, but that isn't where it ended.


Yes, this is a door frame {below} covered in duct tape. The brown paint was peeling and I wanted to cover the door that had sticky residue all over it with a functional display space. The neutral brown paper that I cover all of my boards with makes it appear as if its another bulletin board. I love it and don't care how much trouble it may cause when I choose to take it down!


I outlined each of my bulletin boards with it and I love them all! Never thought I'd be so partial to a plain colored border, but it really suits my style!


And here's my note about the tape. The green and pink are a fantastic color, but they were the non-brand name kind and definitely lacked the stickiness they needed to stay up all year. (The real duct tape brand works great). However, I was able to use it and add a couple staples to help it be reinforced (when applying to just paper and wall) which limited where it could be used, but I still love it!


And then I just kept on going. I covered these crate seat lids that my father made me years ago.


This blue and green one hides our first week of school snacks... we don't eat until after 12:15. Eep!


And I covered our once red library book tote rolling basket to match our color scheme. It is highly visible once you enter our room, and now it fits in... instead of standing out like a sore thumb.


So... that's my duct tape story and I'm sticking to it! Ha! Last place it showed up was right outside my door to hold up our welcome banner.


More on Classroom Decoration

Using Color to Tie a Classroom Design Together
Creating a Functional Magnet Workboard
Getting Rid of My Teacher Desk
Creating a Scrunchy Tree Trunk


Have you ever used duct tape to decorate in your classroom? (Am I a little crazy?) What's your secret to tying bulletin boards together?
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: ,