playdough word work - substituting sounds in CVC words
Beginning sounds, rhyming and CVC segmenting and blending are key skills when learning how to read and write. But where do we grow from there? How can we keep a literacy center the same and yet build on those skills already mastered?
My word work center is nicknamed the playdough center by the students. They L-O-V-E it! We use it to grow from forming letters, identifying them, and basic skills to... I had to come up with something! So, ta-daah! I created an extension set of activities that I tried out on my kinders this spring and summer.
The new activities and sight words helped allow those ready for a challenge to get it, and those on target to make their skills super smooth!
They work with manipulatives like magnetic letters and dry erase markers too.
And I've added 88 sight words to the mix! This covers all of the Pre-Primer Dolch words list and the first 100 Fry high frequency words when combined with the original Playdough Word Work Pack. I've also included number words 1-10.
Of course we've got to keep it all organized, so it lives in the same location just with the new materials all set to go!
More on Playdough
7 Playdough RecipesPlaydough Literacy Center
Ten Frame Number Mats
More on Word Work
Kindergarten Word Work Manipulative Ideas
Is this something your class could use too? It's designed to build on the original pack - so be sure to grab that first!
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: K.RF, literacy centers







<< Home