KindergartenWorks: composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow        

Saturday, November 19, 2011

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow

Here is an example of a guided math lesson that works on composing and decomposing numbers 11-19. I'm also going to lay out the flow of what the entire lesson looks like when I am meeting with my kinders in the "teacher" zone, what I call myself as a center during guided math. It is my general outline or "flow" that we follow.

Despite the name, my kinders can always start without me. If I am needed across the room, or am following up with assessing a student from the previous group, they simply get out a box of dry erase markers (in our group's basket) and begin working on writing their numbers. They are all working to see how far they can get writing 0-20 before I get there or am "ready." 

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks
The Teacher Zone Icon

Guided Math Lesson Plan Flow


Sometimes just having one minute to review my lesson plan again and switching mental gears is just what I need. My highest group each have a post it in their groups' box that holds the last highest number they wrote to. Their goal is to continuing on writing as high as they can starting at their last recorded number and record their new number when time is done.

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks

Warm Up

We start out with a whole group warm-up. Normally this is counting, and each group has their own goals. I love having this FREE resource from Melissa and I ran her math mats double-sided, laminated and bound each one to make a booklet. I plan on revamping them to be more kinder-friendly in the future, but they work great for now. I have 7 booklets - one for each student and one for me to model. I copied each page onto a different color to make giving directions easier.

Main Activity


After the warm up we launch into the main math activity. I plan about 15-20 mins worth of an activity and always tie it to a math strategy or two. When introducing, I begin by sharing what strategies we are going to try or by having a student explain what the strategy means (if we've already tried the activity before).

This quarter we are focusing on composing and decomposing numbers 11-19 using a group of ten and ones. It allows us to also practice more standards (11-19 identification, writing numbers 11-19). For example, we are using the strategy, "See the pattern or connection." And I sing (to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell)

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks

We are also using tools to "show my thinking" when we are used to using pictures and numbers to show our thinking. So I introduce the materials needed to show our thinking about teen numbers. The first time we did the activity, we modeled writing a "teen" in the tens place and talked about the connection between all the teen numbers. We used number cards and foam groups of ten and ones to make 11-19. Our first time we probably made only 3-4 numbers during our group time. With my lowest group, we only focused on the 11-15 range and I had the materials for the first time as they helped manipulate them whole group.

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks

The second time we revisited this activity, my highest group started out with teens and we quickly moved into making numbers 11-99. They pulled higher number cards and worked with a partner. Partners in small groups is so powerful. They are great at working together, checking each other's work and staying on task. 

Differentiate Based on Skills


For my other groups, we worked our way into partner work and then independent practice. To make it "feel" like a game, a partner would pull a number card (so I had one set of cards for each partnership) the other one would make it and the first would check the making and writing of it. I think we had done this activity three times before everyone had a great grasp of it! 

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks

While students are working, I am always referring to the strategy that I laid out on the table before we began. I am asking questions about how they are figuring things out (even if I could tell - because explaining is so huge!), what they are noticing, and their favorite thing is when they catch themselves making a mistake and get praised for "checking their work." 

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks

Wrap Up

When we go to transition out, I refer back to what strategy we practiced and how it applied (I'd review the song for example) as they are cleaning up their materials. We wrap up by focusing on a different standard that can be practiced in bite-size chunks. Currently, we are getting lots of practice making our teen numbers using playdough in the last five minutes before its time to switch groups. 

My second to highest group is exploring what new number they make when I direct them to move it to the tens place, and ask, "What is 7's ten name?" So they have fun taking 17 making it into 71 and then back again. This exploration is keeping them on their toes. My highest group has made teens and twenties and are now moving into thirties. They are also enjoying changing the numbers in the tens place and my lowest group is working on identifying just those teen numbers and recalling their form.

What I'm working on is planning in times to assess while students are working. Informally is part of what I do every day as I take notes, but I'm referring to formally in their math assessment pages as needed. Currently, I am using some warm-up and wrap-up time but am going to have to learn to just be a little bit faster!

composing & decomposing: a guided math lesson plan flow - KindergartenWorks

That's where we've been spending some time over the first 3-4 weeks of our second quarter. I haven't mentioned how I structure our mini-lesson prior to beginning guided math or our share time afterward, but I'll try to do that when I can share how I have taken the standards and chosen how to conquer them based on whether they fit best into the mini-lesson, warm-up, main lesson, or wrap-up. Currently, its all still in chicken scratch. I'm fluent in that language.  

For now, this format and flow works for us. I've made lots of tweaks so far this year and am growing. I'm genuinely thankful that I am continuing to "compose" myself as a teacher in new ways that meet my kinders' needs. I love being able to share my ideas, thoughts and more here as I continue in the process.

More on Guided Math

Learning Teen Numbers in Kindergarten
Math Journaling (Common Core)
Guided Math Details
Figuring Out Assessment
Guided Math - Before and After

I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly just like this one. What tips do you have for creating a lesson flow that works for you?

If you like this post, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly just like this one. 


Labels: , ,