KindergartenWorks: how to DIY your classroom bulletin board        

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

how to DIY your classroom bulletin board

Last week I was working hard on the big picture getting ready for back to school with my binder and planning, and this week I am seeing spots! Well, thats because I have a chicka themed classroom. I didn't actually use a theme in my classroom for probably the first 3-4 years, but it developed from not wanting to fill up the walls with things that have to change constantly. But rather, things that would lend themselves to being changed as we grow as readers and writers.

... and I thought it was high time to welcome you to our classroom. After all, KindergartenWorks is from our classroom to yours! I won't share our entire classroom today, but rather just the pieces that tie our theme together. I definitely have a limited number of places I use it as not not overwhelm me or my hard-to-focus kinders. For more photos on our classroom, be sure to read guided reading - space planning and the perfect triangle.

In the alcove outside of our classroom:
I create chicka letters with students names on enlarged first letter of their name (held up by stikki clips) and the saying  is “chicka chicka boom boom!  welcome to our classroom!” Below I have a painted chair with mod-podge letters and painted palm tree. Just to the left of the tree at the top you can see our 5” yellow dots creating a "frame" which extends to the left and right around the alcove.


These letters aren't anything special, but you could run off the ones you need on colored construction paper to make yours!


This is actually just above our big book center. It is a false bulletin board. I have enlarged letters of the alphabet with thick black outlines that are hung up with stikki clips. We add a letter after its been a focus letter and have mastered handwriting it. The saying is simply "will there be enough room?" and the palm trees were from the luau section of the dollar tree. How did I create the customized border? I just used 5-6” of fadeless paper border in maroon (simply cut into rectangles) and stapled 3” yellow dots on top.


These are two false bulletin boards and one very long one!

I chose colors (green/pink, blue/purple) that coordinated with many of the organization baskets I have in my room. The reversed maroon and yellow are on the looooong bulletin board behind my rocking chair because this bulletin board is lose in proximity to the one on just above the big book center.

I like how the brown paper background as a neutral because it allows the materials to stand out and the rest just “disappears” visually for my kinders. Great for avoiding “over stimulation."


Our library center!
I painted the trunk of the tree and the leaves to cover a mesh tent. I also spray painted the tent to help create the look I was going for. It is suspended from the ceiling. And now I’m sticking with this theme because this took a looooong time! I just purchased new pillows and circle rugs to brighten it up and create a cozy reading nook - after 7 years my little couches that you see, are just about dead.

How did I make the tree?
  • leaves - painted green construction paper, cut and outlined in heavy black marker
  • letters (not pictured) - enlarged prints of letters used in bulletin board from second picture onto 11x17 paper attached onto leaves of tree 
  • trunk - painted brown bulletin board paper held up by double sided tape
  • grass - bulletin board paper held up by double sided tape
  • coconuts - paper mache balloons



And our cubbies and daily folders will have polka dots and palm trees too. I am totally using this tip from Miss Kindergarten to be able to erase their names and use these cubbie labels again next year.

More Classroom Decor

making a "scrunchy tree trunk" tutorial
getting rid of my teacher desk
brightly colored and cohesive

How to DIY for Your Classroom {Polka Dot Decor Ideas}


If you're seeing spots now too, then I consider you a blog-found friend for reading the entire post.

If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
*Free downloadable Thank You Gift included when you subscribe via email or RSS.

Labels: ,