change and staying steady
In the light of the changing tide that is the new Common Core Standards, I am taking it all in stride! Or, doing my best anyways. I am learning that there are a few standards that I have taught previously that aren't spelled out specifically in the new ones, but could be included to still help develop well balanced kinder readers and writers.
For example, we had a specific standard on reading and recognizing familiar signs and environmental print. I have two things that will still stay in play this year even though they play up to this standard a lot, but will still be fully functional! In fact, I am finding the transition better the more I work on comparing what I do with what is to come. I hope that many of you will find this too!
These are a part of a literacy center activity my kinders are allowed to do once they have finished their set task at the writing center.
These are a part of a literacy center activity my kinders are allowed to do once they have finished their set task at the writing center.

It fits the new standards beautifully having kinder-friendly materials to use as resources to find words as needed. I bind these pages into a mini-book that they can use. Think of it as a kinder-friendly yellow pages if you will. There is a slightly empty page for you to add your school's photo, name and mascot.

What are you doing to help familiarize yourself with these new standards?
Labels: Common Core Standards, Freebie
<< Home