decomposing teen numbers cool math game
The story behind what started this all begins with the news that the common core standards were coming to kindergarten. like. now. I have been wanting to do guided math in my room for two years now, but I never chose to put in the mental energy to put into what that should look like in my room, nor felt like I had enough guts to give it a go. Now, with transitioning my mental thinking by realigning my teaching to match our new pacing, is the time.
Onto the reindeer! They swung back around as I created a sample of a differentiated game that we can use to practice:
- K.NBT.1.a Compose numbers from 11-19 from a group of ten ones and additional ones using objects.
I know that I am not going to create something so elaborate for every lesson or activity, but was excited at exploring various ways of practicing ten frames that kinders could do on their own. Here is the result - glitter ice cubes as ten frame pieces in both a group of tens and single ones. Students play with game pieces and a board to race to the North Pole.
Themed decomposing game board.
There are three sets of cards to create differentiated play. The rules stay the same no matter which deck you play with.
Draw a card, make food for the reindeer like your card says. If you make it, roll the dice and move that many spaces. Don't give your reindeer a stomach ache!
The first set is for the students who need the most support in composing teen numbers using tens and ones. There are picture clues on the card they draw and shows the clue in an organized fashion to help with counting 1:1.
The second set also shows picture clues (because this is a first and second quarter standard for us) and they are still learning what 17 looks like as a number. Yet these clues do not show pieces in an arranged fashion. This prompts students to do their own making without relying on counting the objects shown. The objects shown become a guide to illustrate the concept, but not necessarily the answer.
This third set shows no picture clues for students who are ready to accept the challenge!
With a different card back you can print for each deck and as many glitter ice cubes you could want, it's finally time to let Rudolph play in those reindeer games. Different backs will help keep the card set organized for the different levels of play.
Get this game "Hurry Up Reindeer"
More Math
Download a free decomposing sheet (as seen above). Great for laminating and using in groups.Teach how to draw a ten frame
Exploring Decomposing and Composing Numbers with Equations
A Decomposition/Composition Sample Lesson Plan
Decomposing Series
And yes, reindeer like to be fed all year long, so we'll be playing this long before the winter season is upon us. You can too. Enjoy!
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
If you like what I do here on KindergartenWorks, then be sure to subscribe today. I look forward to sharing ideas with you weekly.
- Leslie
Labels: Common Core Standards Connection, Guided Math, Holiday/Themed, K.NBT





<< Home