No David... Revisited
So, I mentioned that some of my kids were working on taking risks in creating books like authors we love and are familiar with and it is taking off! Here are a few snapshots of "No ___!" books resembling features of David Shannon's books.
![]() |
| This writer adds extra lines (not for planning her words, but for emphasis!) |
![]() |
| Look familiar? |
![]() |
| Even the most simple are successful! |
![]() |
| Adding a nickname like "Davey" was a feature we saw applied by a few kinder-authors |
Gotta love the natural spiral of things as one kinder-author sees a peer try something, their belief is built that they could try it too and do! Love the features that they picked up on after simple discussion, pointing them out, and watching them give it a try. After discussing the features of Polar Bear... and Brown Bear... we now have pattern stories cropping up everywhere.
My favorite moment from this week is when a student was sharing his book, proceeds to open it and show off the first two pages. It looks like a set of tornado-shaped, different colored scribbles going down the pages.
One student calls out, "Will you please write words on your page?" and inside I'm biting my tongue waiting to see what type of book this'll turn into.
He proceeds to read the "words" on his next two pages, "Dad, Dad what do you see? I see Penny barking at me."
I was enjoying that he picked up on the pattern and applied it using family members, but I was still puzzled.
I tried to figure out what the disconnect was between the first tornado looking (honestly, scribbly-looking picture) and these next ones done with pencil first (for detail) and then colored in quite nicely. I'm so glad I waited to comment, because sometimes it takes further questioning or more contemplation to see what these little kinder-authors are trying to accomplish. I felt a rush of enthusiasm as it hit me.
The other students' jaws almost dropped to the floor to discover what they thought wasn't good coloring suddenly became an awesome attempt to apply a famous illustrator's style. We commented on how he even used colors to match - black (dad's hair) and brown (dog's spots). Love it!
What have your kinders done that make your jaw drop (in a good way!)?
One student calls out, "Will you please write words on your page?" and inside I'm biting my tongue waiting to see what type of book this'll turn into.
I was enjoying that he picked up on the pattern and applied it using family members, but I was still puzzled.
I tried to figure out what the disconnect was between the first tornado looking (honestly, scribbly-looking picture) and these next ones done with pencil first (for detail) and then colored in quite nicely. I'm so glad I waited to comment, because sometimes it takes further questioning or more contemplation to see what these little kinder-authors are trying to accomplish. I felt a rush of enthusiasm as it hit me.
He finished up and I was able to check in to see if he was trying to make the inside front covers look like the same style of Eric Carle. Indeed he was. Huge smile across his face.
What have your kinders done that make your jaw drop (in a good way!)?




<< Home